Transformer Oil in Nigeria
Transformer Oil in Nigeria
GZ Industrial Supplies is the foremost supplier of transformer oil in Nigeria. We supply various brands of Transformer oil such as
About Transformer oil.
Transformer oil is a mineral based oil that is commonly used in transformers for its chemical properties and dielectric strength. This oil in your transformer acts as an insulator and a cooling agent. Over time, the oil will degrade resulting in the potential for faults and costly repairs. With a proper preventative maintenance program, you can avoid any costly down time and expensive repairs. This is why at GZ Industrial Supplies we serve you the best global brands to ensure equipment efficiency and durability.
Types of transformer Oil
Quality of transformer oil
The quality of transformer oil will effect its insulation and cooling properties. Under normal operating conditions, a minimal breakdown of oil quality will occur from oxidization and contamination. These are summarized as bellow:
- Oxidization is acid that forms in the oil when it comes in contact with oxygen. The acid will form sludge which settles on the windings of the transformer resulting in reduced heat dissipation. The windings will run hotter thereby creating more sludge which in turn will create even more heat. The high acid content and increased temperatures will accelerate the deterioration of the insulating qualities of the oil and if left untreated will cause the transformer to fail.
- Contamination commonly found in transformer oil includes water and particulate. The presence of either of these contaminants will reduce the insulating qualities of your transformer oil.
Testing and ensuring the integrity of your transformer oil.
Testing your transformer oil should be part of your yearly preventative maintenance program. Testing the oil will help to determine when corrective measures are required. Initial testing will establish a base line for comparison and annual testing will plot any changes internally in your transformer.
At GZ Industrial Supplies we recommend the following 5 part test is a minimum requirement of an annual maintenance program:
- Dielectric breakdown: Dielectric strength is a measure of voltage the oil will insulate against. Many contaminants conduct electricity better than oil therefore lowering the dielectric breakdown.
- Neutralization/Acid Number: This test will measure the level of sludge causing acid present in the oil.
- Interfacial tension: This test identifies the presence of polar compounds. These would indicate oxidation contaminates or deterioration from the transformer materials. i.e. paint, varnish, paper.
- Colour: The colour of the oil indicates quality, aging and the presence of contaminants.
- Water content: This tests for the amount of water present in the oil in parts per million. The presence of water in your oil will decrease the dielectric strength.
Other necessary information about the transformer oil
The Dissolved Gas Analysis (DGA) test is another useful tool as part of your maintenance program. Examining the gasses present in the oil can help determine if there are faults in the transformer including arcing, corona or overheated connections.
The results of the tests performed will help determine when further action is required. Predetermined limits for these tests must be set based on the voltage class and KVA of your transformer. Any tests performed showing results outside of the predetermined parameters indicate further investigation is required. A downward trend of your test results over time also warrants further testing and an evaluation of the results.
If remedial action is required for your transformer oil, a recent PCB analysis is required in addition to the preceding testing. If the result of the PCB testing is less than 2 ppm, in most cases an onsite reclamation of your oil can be performed. If the oil is over 2 ppm but less than 50 ppm, the oil can be shipped to a recycling facility and your transformer can be retrofilled with new or recycled oil. Any PCB analysis with results over 50 ppm will require special handling.
Contact us in GZ Industrail supplies for all your transformer oil requirments.