Fire Fighting Equipment
GZ Industrial Supplies is the leading provider of a complete assortment of firefighter equipment in Nigeria. The product palette includes personal protection equipment, technical equipment, firefighter accessories, and special hazmat equipment. Our fire fighting equipment catalog is available in a browsable format, making it great to look around.
Types of Fire fighting Equipment
GZ Industrial Supplies is the preferred supplier of fire fighting equipment in Nigeria because of the extensive know-how we bring to customers on how to prevent a fire altogether. There are two types of fire-fighting equipment; portables such as fire extinguishers and fire blankets, fixed systems, fire hydrants, and sprinkler systems.
Portable fire-fighting equipment
Every fire, they say, starts with smoke, and this means it starts small and the best form of stopping a colossal fire is to stop it when it is small; this is where the portable fire fighting equipment becomes crucial. The function of a portable fire extinguisher is to deal with small fires that are detected soon after ignition. Fire-fighting equipment should be considered as a means of both prevention and protection. For example, portable fire-fighting equipment can prevent a small fire from growing out of control and spreading beyond the area of origin, affecting the means of escape and posing a risk to relevant persons.
Selection and Positioning of Portable Fire Extinguishers. The provision of portable fire extinguishers should result from a risk assessment and the requirements of BS 5306-8:2012 Fire Extinguishing Installations and Equipment on Premises. Code of Practice assumes that a fire risk assessment has been undertaken. We at GZ Industrial supplies can have your facility accessed, and appropriate suggestion is made that strictly follows acceptable standards.
In simple premises, having one or two portable extinguishers of the appropriate type readily available for use may be all that is necessary. In more complex premises, several portable extinguishers may be required.
Fixed type fire fighting systems
There are several fixed fire-fighting facilities available, including:
- fire hydrants and rising mains
- hose reel systems
- sprinkler systems
- water mist and fogging systems
- gas systems (sometimes referred to as “clean agent systems”)
- foam systems
- dry powder.
Fixed fire protection systems will usually be required/are advisable:
- A situation where a facility cannot meet the usual requirements of the building regulations concerning means of escape or compartmentation due to reasons of practicability, or where a relaxation of those requirements is sought
- In high buildings or buildings with deep basements, where fixed fire protection systems are required to assist the fire brigade in the protection of life
- in any building where the results of a fire risk assessment show that life safety may be compromised by an outbreak of fire that is not extinguished promptly
- in any building where it is necessary to provide compensation for some other fire precautionary measure that may be considered to require reinforcement, for example, where it is not regarded as practicable to provide the necessary level of fire separation
- on the instructions of the insurers for the building (some insurers may be persuaded to offer a premium reduction for the installation of an approved system)
- A facility where the loss arising from a fire will be massive, and the cost of replacement can kill the business.
Where you can find the necessary information on the standards of design, installation, and use of a fixed fire fighting system
- BS EN 12094 series: Fixed Firefighting Systems. Components for Gas Extinguishing Systems
- BS EN 12259 series: Fixed Firefighting Systems. Components for Sprinkler and Water Spray Systems
- BS EN 15004 series: Fixed Firefighting Systems. Gas Extinguishing Systems
- BS EN 1568 series: Fire Extinguishing Media. Foam Concentrates
- BS 9990:2015 Non-automatic Fire-fighting Systems in Buildings. Code of Practice.