Here is the audio of this ArticleCorrosion has posed a lot of problems to various companies and industries; by interfering with the finances and profits. The discovery of corrosion inhibitors solves the problem of spending huge amounts annually on combating Corrosion by industries.
At GZ Industrial supplies, we deal on chemicals such as corrosion inhibitors that help prevent the onset of Corrosion on your equipment, machines, tools as well as your automobiles using our different types of corrosion inhibitors. One of the challenges industries and companies face is keeping up with these developments, such as difficulties in keeping equipment and machines functional in various stages of Corrosion; read on to find out how corrosion inhibitors work.
What is a Corrosion Inhibitor?
This is a chemical substance that is applied to a particular material, mainly metals, and also in the environment to drastically reduce the rate of Corrosion of that material. This is made possible by a coating process on the surface of the metal acting as passivation restricting access of water, air, and dirt, etc., directing on the metal surface. This is seen as the first line of defense against Corrosion.
Corrosion Inhibitors are basically applied;
- On surfaces of metals
- In coolants, fuels, hydraulic fluids, boiler water, engine oil, and many other fluids used in industries and companies.
- In the concrete mixture, when pouring concrete with steel rebar.
Corrosion inhibitors usually consist of some particular amounts of Nitrogen-based compounds or Amines, a diluent or solubilizer, oxyalkylated naphthenic acid, and acetylenic alcohol or sulfide.
The Effects and Solution for Corrosion
A reaction of metals with substances such as water, oxygen, hydrogen, dirt, bacteria, or even an electrical current can result in the Corrosion of metals. Metals like steel corrode when they are put under some stress subjection resulting in cracks, and after various types of research, we at Gz Industrial supplies offer the use of corrosion inhibitors in combating rust.
- Corrosion brings about high expenses as a result of replacing new machines and tools.
- The maintenance methods such as painting bring about high costs.
- It reduces the machine and equipment efficiency.
- It causes the damage of products in the corroded metal container.
- It requires safety measures to be carried out to prevent the release of hazardous chemicals.
- Corrosion causes health problems when a product from such a source is accumulated in the body. For example, drinking water from a contaminated lead pipe.
The application and uses of corrosion Inhibitors are widely seen in Companies, commercial processes, and industrial environments. Their uses include:
- To stop rusting and anodic Corrosion of metals by coating the metal surface with a chromate layer.
- Corrosion inhibitors like the Oxygen scavengers react with dissolved oxygen in the environment and prevent cathodic Corrosion.
- They are also used in securing fuel pipelines, preventing rust, and reducing the risk of accidents.
- Corrosion inhibitors play important roles in also securing Metal pipes prone to Corrosion in heating systems.
Types of Corrosion inhibitors
Epochem Corrosion inhibitors are classified into two general types due to the nature in which they prevent Corrosion. Some corrosion inhibitors also serve as an industrial coolant and protect engines’ cooling systems, while others reduce the corrosion rate of metals. They include;
1. Water-based inhibitor
The water-based inhibitor is an Epochem brand of Cleaning and maintenance chemicals in Nigeria. This corrosion inhibitors coolant is a series of extended-life industrial coolant/antifreeze and heat transfer fluids formulated for stationary equipment applications already pre-diluted. These products are based on a unique extended-life carboxylate inhibitor system and nitrite/molybdate as secondary inhibitors. These water-based inhibitors provide complete protection of cooling system components, do not contain borates, phosphate, amines, and silicates, and are available in ethylene glycol-based fluid.
Buy from our online store Water-based inhibitor
2. Solvent-based inhibitor
The solvent-based Epochem brand of Cleaning and maintenance chemicals in Nigeria. It is applied to an environment that significantly reduces the corrosion rate of materials, especially metals exposed to that environment. It is considered the first line of defense against Corrosion.
These solvent-based corrosion inhibitors are corrosion preventatives for application to surfaces likely to corrode, either in storage or in use. They are blends of selected rust prevention materials dissolved in a solvent for ease of application. On application, the solvent evaporates, leaving a protective coating.
Buy from our online store Solvent-based inhibitor
How Corrosion Inhibitors Work
There are three basic mechanisms at which corrosion inhibitors work regardless of the type of inhibitors being used as well as their environment;
1. By the process of chemical absorption, the inhibitor molecule readily diffuses into the metal surface; either by self or with Interaction with the metallic ions, it then forms a thin protective film in the form of a precipitate.
2. This protective film formed as a result of the reaction between the inhibitor and metal produces metal oxides which is what increases the corrosion resistance.
3. The inhibitor reacts with a potentially corrosive substance in the water.
How to choose the most suitable corrosion inhibitor
- Consider the nature and type of materials to be protected
- The type of corrosion inhibitor to be used(Solvent, oil, or water-based)
- Application method (dip, spray, brush, etc.)
- Protection type required (in process, storage, or shipping)
- Nature of thickness and type of coating residue desired
- Temperature, humidity, storage, packaging, and/or shipping conditions of the material.
- Other Interactions with subsequent processes.
- Requirement for safety and environmental health.
In order to protect, prevent and prolong the life of your metallic equipment, tools, and machines, Professionals have resulted the use of corrosion inhibitors as a conservation and restoration method of these materials. Corrosion protection is a necessary requirement for all major equipment and machines.
At GZ Industrial supplies our products and services are marked with the highest level of corrosion management standard that ensures all our clients receive quick and quality service, with our corrosion inhibitor working and giving outstanding protection against Corrosion in a matter of a few hours.